Media buyers are professionals who control the media buying process after the media planning team sends their marketing needs. They are in charge of the ad space purchase, which consists of negotiating with networks, sites, and other channels for their advertising.
Let’s take a look at the details about this position.
What does a Media Buyer do?
A media buyer is a professional who assists clients in identifying and then suggesting/ recommending the best media for advertising expenditure to reach more people and bring maximum engagement.
Their primary responsibility is to buy the appropriate media space after assessing which platforms work the best for their client. They are also responsible for effective media buying strategies and the negotiations involved in the process.
The media buyer should have planning experience and knowledge about digital media to prepare the plans and strategies with media planners.
The media buyer should be well aware of the buying processes and the relevant tools and trends.
Media Buyer Job Description Sample
The media buyer works on the digital platform and identifies the target audiences to make media plans for different clients as per the requirements.
The media buyer should have strong analytical skills to track the ongoing records of the media plans for their clients.
They should also be well-versed in negotiating the best price, quality, and placement of advertisements.
The media buyer should be resourceful for the team and comfortable working in a collaborative team environment.
They should also be comfortable with working on multiple deadlines.
Media Buyer Job Responsibilities
- Work with the sales representative (media) to determine a place for buying and advertising for maximum reach.
- Generate and apply plans to meet the media objectives within a set financial budget system and time limit.
- Work on the negotiation of the advertising rates to meet the budget requirements and schedule.
- Analyze, track, and interpret the statistics for an effective advertising campaign to reach the standard bar. Should make changes and improvements accordingly.
- Develop strategies and blueprints for media buys and regulate advertisements according to the requirements for every campaign.
- Constant maintenance, optimization, and monitoring of the progress in the media plan performances.
- Create reports, highlight the relevant key points of new studies to implement in future campaigns.
- Update clients on the status of their ongoing campaigns from time to time.
- Work closely with media planners to devise media buying strategies to achieve the right level of coverage.
- Handle different client requests regarding changes in media plans, budget, any updates, or changes in the marketplace.
- Meet the set deadlines.
- Keep up with the new industry trends and new technology setups.
Media Buyer Skills/Abilities/Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree is required in the field of advertising, marketing, business communications, or in any other related discipline.
- Experience of about 4+ years in advertising and outreach media is preferred.
- Experience working with multiple media channels, including billboards, radio, social media, internet, etc.
- Experience in developing effective advertising programs.
- Experience with carrying out advertising statistics and strategies by tracking the performances and metrics.
- Good research, analyzing, and negotiation skills are required.
- Knowledge and experience with market research to get the basic/raw idea of the demographics and targeted audiences requirements for planning and strategizing the future campaigns.
- Ability to communicate clearly with co-workers, teammates, and other personnel to exchange information as and when required.
- Knowledge and proficiency in working with the Microsoft Office suite.
- Should be comfortable with traveling for business purposes.
Media Buyer Reports To:
- Media Buyer Supervisor
- Media Account Manager
- Media Account Director
How much does a Media Buyer Make?
Based on an average of four job search/salary research websites, the starting salary of a Media Buyer is $39,491/year in the USA. In contrast, the average salary is $58,293/year, and the higher paid ones make $94,869/year on average.
Media Buyer’s job involves a high responsibility as it deals with the advertisement budget, generating sales, and building brands.
Apart from ad budgeting, Media Buyer handles numerous strategic tasks, such as monitoring new publisher opportunities and competition activities.
This Media Buyer job description sample will help you create a job application to attract the best-qualified candidates for the role. Feel free to copy, alter, and use this outline for you and your company’s purposes and goals.
Make sure to send your comments and needs for whatever improvements you suggest to this Media Buyer job description. Also, let us know if you need help on any other similar job posting, and we will post it here as soon as possible.