A Retail Sales Consultant plays an essential role in the sales department whose primary function is to help clients purchase the products that suit their needs and preferences and provide customer service satisfaction with the aim of generating sales.
Let’s take a look at the details of this position.
What Is A Retail Sales Consultant?
The Retail Sales Consultant is tasked with helping customers find the ideal products to meet their needs. Thus, while helping customers meet their needs, retail sales consultants are expected to drive the sales of an organization or a department by recommending their products as the ideal solution.
Other than helping customers get the ideal products for their needs, retail sales consultants provide customers with training and tools. Information or seminars that can enable them to interact better with the purchased products, particularly when dealing with high-luxury products or technical products.
Sponsored Content – Posts And Ads You May Like:
The retail sales consultants are expected to present impartial experts in the fields or experts who have no preferred brand. Their recommendation should not come out as a sales pitch, but rather friends recommending a great product to another friend.
What is the Job of a Retail Sales Consultant?
The primary task of a Retail Sales Consultant is to drive sales and business growth. As such, they are expected to position themselves at strategic locations to answer customer questions, complaints, or last-minute purchase anxiety while presenting their brand as the best alternative.
Thus, they use both online tools like social media and offline tools like positioning themselves at strategic locations. Further, the retail sales consultant must handle product display, fix the product price tag, deal with the inventory at the point of sale, monitor stock theft or improper stock handling, and present it to the relevant authorities.
The Retail Sales Consultant is required to attend sales training to have a thorough product understanding. Further, the sales training is required to be an opportunity to present customer feedback and complaints like new product features and ideas, complains regarding price or packaging, and other factors.
Besides product knowledge, the retail sales consultant should thoroughly understand operating procedures to channel customer feedback to relevant authorities effectively. For instance, if there is a backlash in the market, the retail sales consultant should understand the right communication channel to follow in relaying this information.
New products or new product features are channeled through the retail sales consultant. Thus, the retail sales consultant must continuously learn and read about the new product features to communicate this information to customers
Retail Sales Consultant Job Description Sample
By acting as an expert in their field, the Retail Sales Consultant is expected to drive sales by attracting customers to the brand instead of conducting direct selling. For instance, retail sales consultants can position themselves strategically at the mall.
When a customer walks in and has a hard time choosing a product in their respective product class, the sales consultant should come to their rescue by acting as an advisor. As such, the retail sales consultant will explain to the client the features they should consider when selecting the brand and why the elements are important in meeting their needs.
The sales consultant will then recommend their product as the best alternative, meeting the features mentioned above and closing the deal.
Retail Sales Consultant Job Responsibilities
- Meeting customers in a sales environment and driving sales using product knowledge.
- Demonstrating advanced product knowledge for the betterment of both industry and company.
- Adhering to company policies and procedures while closing deals.
- Making an appointment for product training, demonstration, or presentations with customers.
- Working with other employees to ensure product availability and reduce instances of product shortage.
- Generating customer leads and following up on older leads to close leads.
- Supporting customers with post-purchase experiences like handling objections, regrets, or any challenges dealing with the product.
- Conducting client follow-up post-purchase to ensure customers are happy and satisfied.
- Achieving desired sales goals in a specified time.
Retail Sales Consultant Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in business management with specialization in marketing.
- Proven work experience in setting and achieving targets.
- Thorough understanding of the sales process from lead generation, negotiation, closing deals, and handling post-purchase jitters.
- Demonstrated product knowledge both at the company level and industry level.
- Skills in inventory management, including skills to detect and prevent stock out costs.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Demonstrated knowledge in building and managing a team.
- Ability to work well under pressure while delivering exceptional results.
Retail Sales Consultant Reports to
- Senior Sales Consultant
- Sales Manager
How Much Does Retails Sales Consultant Make?
Based on the average of five job search/salary research websites shows that the starting salary is $28,925 in the USA per year, while the median salary is $50 218, and the highest make is $74,574.
Some companies do offer commissions, cash bonuses, and incentives for achieving or exceeding sales quota.
This Retail Sales Consultant job description sample will help you create a job application to attract qualified candidates for the role. Feel free to use this outline for your company’s hiring purposes and goals. Do not republish this job description for commercial purposes or in blog posts.
Ensure to send your comments and needs for whatever improvement you suggest to this job description. Also, let us know if you need help on any similar job posting, and we will post it here as soon as possible.