For freshers graduating from college and into the industry as job seekers, an internship is essential as it gives pace to their careers ahead. It makes the aspirants confident and gives them complete control of their career trajectory to begin with. Hence, looking for just the right internship is extremely vital. This article will explore one of the most growing types of internships, the marketing internship.
Our Marketing Internship Research
One internship has been gaining massive favor among the freshers, especially with social media’s growth in the new generations’ lives. These are marketing internships with such a wide playing field that there are numerous different kinds of opportunities. There are many marketing internships available online, and a simple search often opens up a long list of openings.
Now, even though it is true that there are a lot of marketing internships available online, there are specific types within them. One must be aware of the required work and the attributes necessary to apply for each of them.
Hence, choosing the perfect marketing internship for oneself is not limited to clearing many interviews but also knowing what you can offer and look for in the internship.
Wherever you are searching for an internship, in a job fair, or on the internet, To simplify this internship hunting process for you, let us classify the most prominent and most common marketing internship opportunities. This shortlist will include internships available in abundance and those that freshers often apply for and get the most out of.
Methodology of Analysis
We analyzed 100 marketing internship job posts from LinkedIn, Indeed, Glassdoor, Zip recruiter, and Monster in the word cloud to understand the most wanted skills and the responsibilities of a marketing intern.
The job posts were divided into the four most common types of marketing internship on the platforms:
- Digital Marketing
- Product Marketing
- Social Media
Within these types of marketing internships, we analyzed the skills needed and the responsibilities in each type. As a support of the analysis, we added a work-cloud representing the most common keywords of each one.
So, without further ado, let us dive right into the thick of things and explore the ever-expanding world of marketing and the internship opportunities it offers.
Digital Marketing Internship
There is one kind that has been growing for years now when it comes to marketing internship opportunities. These are digital marketing internships that have emerged as a significant employment opportunity in the world of marketing. As the word itself suggests, all marketing is done digitally or over the internet comes under digital marketing.
As the number of internet users worldwide continues to increase, consumers are much likely to be found on the internet. This opens up a digital market for which companies will hire professionals to market online. This means that digital marketing is an industry for the future—all the more reason to become a part of it as early in your career as you can.
Below is an example of a Digital Marketing internship on Zip Recruiter opportunity and other responsibilities expected to be fulfilled by the intern:
There is an absolute abundance when it comes to marketing internships available in the digital marketing industry. It won’t be an overstatement if digital marketing is termed a revolution in the marketing world.
As for internship opportunities in the field, there are specific skills and attributes that one has to learn over time or, better still, know about them beforehand.
The most commonly requires skills and attributes for Digital Marketing research are:
- Good communication skills.
- Social Media knowledge of platforms and marketing techniques.
- Some companies also expect a basic knowledge of blogging and how to promote blogs etc.
- A knack for research, be it internet research or market research.
- An essential awareness of Search Engine Optimization or SEO techniques is also considered to be a plus point.
Knowing the skills needed for digital marketing jobs, you should find digital marketing courses to increase your skills before it’s requested for you. It will show your proactivity in being ahead of the curve.
The responsibilities are related to supporting and developing marketing campaigns, social media, and content marketing. Email marketing and Google (SEO) are also required. He is a list of what we found:
- Copywriting, generate content.
- Support giveaway campaigns.
- Monitor, analyze, and report the performance of digital marketing campaigns.
- Deal with third parties: influencer marketing, agencies, and users.
- Develop social media content.
- Organize social media calendar.
- Post regularly on social media (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, Email Marketing).
- Respond to social media comments.
- Conduct marketing research.
- Keyword research.
Social Media Marketing Internship
There is nothing new to be said about social media. Ranging from how it enhances business reach to how wide a consumer base one can target on the platform, everything has been said and discussed thousands of times.
What concerns us regarding social media marketing internship opportunities is what the employers will expect from you. Pretty much like digital marketing internships, social media marketing, too, requires a certain sense of the platform.
After all, if you are willing to create content on social media that could sell a product or if you are willing to adopt a particular strategy, you first have to be aware of the platform.
You will need to know what gets the most likes, hits, and shares on social media and why specific post trends and another doesn’t. First, you will require this basic knowledge about how social media works and what you can offer on ideas to the brand that has hired you.
This, for example, is a social media marketing internship available on LinkedIn and the responsibilities expected of those who wish to apply.
After all, marketing is all about telling stories that connect people. For that, you will need to have a different outlook, irrespective of the technical expertise you offer.
The primary attributes that are a necessity in Social Media Marketing are:
- An idea of influencer marketing on Instagram and Facebook marketing.
- Good communication skills (a must for all kinds of marketing jobs).
- Good writing, proofread, and grammar skills.
- Teamwork and interpersonal skills collaboratively.
- If you are looking to find a way into Content Marketing, prior experience of creating content for internet platforms is counted as a positive. It can be anything from a maintained social media profile to a monthly food blog. All the companies look for is how familiar you are with social media platforms.
- Knowledge of Social Media analytics and how to build strategies around those.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.). It looks like this is a no-brainer skill you should have.
- Graphic design knowledge is an advantage (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign).
Important responsibilities that would be involved with this internship are similar to digital marketing, but with a focus on social, obviously:
- Take care of social media contests, publish and share content.
- Grow social media accounts.
- Take care of social media posts (Facebook and Instagram are the most required. In some posts, you can see Linkedin and Pinterest as well).
- Engage with users on social media.
- Assist with social media influencer outreach.
- Monitor social media trends and search for partnership opportunities.
- Deal with client strategy, content, attention, and goals (Since many internships are related to agency jobs)
Brand Marketing Internship
With all sorts of start-ups and innovative companies being set up globally, brand marketing is undoubtedly a useful skill to perfect. Before a brand tries to define its target audience or work specifically for a certain consumer, it has to make a name for itself. This initial process is known as branding.
So, brand marketing internship opportunities related to this initial branding or the rebranding of a renowned brand. It is not very different from basic marketing. It requires more or less the same set of skills, such as:
- Good communication skills to interact with potential consumers and colleagues.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Comprehension of the target audience and demographics.
- Analytical skills are required to gauge the performance of used strategies to devise more efficient ones.
- Brand marketing campaign knowledge.
- Marketing experience (in some cases required between one to three years)
- Knowledge of marketing and advertisement.
- A willingness to think in terms of “why” to build sound strategies for a brand.
Below is an example of a brand marketing internship opportunity on Monster.
You can see below the word cloud for brand marketing skills.
Since the brand marketing area often works with many areas, such as product marketing, social media, trade marketing, and field marketing, you can see that team player and communication skills pop up big in the word-cloud. Be sure you have this profile before applying to such an interactive area.
Regarding what people working with branding will do, you can see the word cloud of responsibilities below.
The main responsibilities of those working with brand marketing internships re:
- Support the Brand Marketing team.
- Creation of key visuals and presentations.
- Support the development of a marketing plan.
- Assist in promotional and creative activities.
- Support the development of go-to-market product strategy,
- Help with the creation of brand marketing campaigns and analysis.
- Help organize marketing events.
- Support the creation of assets for advertising and other marketing communications.
- Collaborate with the brand marketing agency.
Hence, Brand marketing is a niche that you can ace if you’re into reading data and building strategies accordingly. Similarly, as in most marketing internships, communication is key. Companies will always have a seat vacant for you in the marketing world if you are a good communicator.
Product Marketing Internship
As the name itself suggests, product marketing is all about developing and marketing a new product. The fact that marketing, in this case, is done of a particular product provides marketers with a much more narrowed down approach and a better understanding of the target consumer base.
A lot of product marketing internship opportunities have additional responsibilities for them. This makes it very important for aspirants to ensure that they go through the expected responsibilities and attributes.
Apart from marketing products, it also involves analyzing the product’s performance in question and cooperating with different departments to devise a marketing strategy that will work across platforms.
Below is a snippet of a product marketing internship opening on Indeed along with the attributes and responsibilities expected from the intern:
Some basic attributes expected from the intern for product marketing tasks are:
- Problem-solving skills.
- Learning to maintain product portfolios according to the company guidelines.
- Market research knowledge, collecting data, and giving insight based on one’s own understanding of the numbers and statistics. After all, data is rendered useless if one doesn’t know how to read it.
- Knowledge of MS Office, especially Excel, due to many more analytical tasks required, and PowerPoint to present results and product-related material and analysis.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work cross-functionally, cooperating with different departments involved in research, production, and branding. After all, product marketing has to keep in mind every aspect of the product in question, starting from the quality to the marketing that follows.
- Organization skills.
- Detail orientation due to deal with product development, including features, parts, and finishing details.
Regarding responsibilities, here are the most important ones:
- Assist in the development of marketing and customer research tools, techniques, and reporting.
- Analyze market data and trends to support executive decision-making.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the product marketing strategy.
- Analyze product performance and competitive analysis.
- Suggest the creation of new products or new product features based on consumer research results and consumer demands.
- Assist in the launch of new products.
- Conduct market research, primary or secondary.
- Assist with pricing.
To further understand product marketing internships, all you need to do is visit a prominent job hunting website and type the search.
Keep Browsing For More Internships
As mentioned above, there are a plethora of options for marketing internship openings. It is also a career that offers excellent growth potential. And the best way to start your journey of becoming a marketer is a right, rewarding internship that teaches you the tricks of the trade.
One suggestion that nobody gave me when I was looking for my first internship is that nowadays, AI is playing a major role when selecting your resume, and that’s why you should be concerned about the word-cloud.
One of the platforms you can work to have your resume evaluated for a particular job post is Jobscan.
The platform compares the job description with your resume, counting and analyzing the keyword match, similarly with ATS (Applicant Tracking Systems) used by most corporations in America.
Keyword cloud is important, and you have all clouds explained and analyzed in this article, therefore make your resume stand out for the right marketing internship for you.
Now that you know about the various types of marketing internship opportunities available, you can better decide which one of them suits your skillset and interests better.
The world of marketing is dynamic, and needs and ways of doing things keep on changing. Especially for freshers, the key is to stay aware and in touch with the changing trends. What’s the best way of doing that?
By becoming a part of the marketing machine and observing every little operation minutely to understand how the machine works.
So, take advantage of the surge in need for marketers worldwide and give yourself the perfect start with an internship that suits you perfectly.