This article will show details on why and how to customize LinkedIn URL following the step by step process:
- Go to your LinkedIn home page.
- Click on the “Me” icon.
- Select View Profile.
- Select the “Edit Public Profile and URL” option on the top right of the page.
- You will see a new page opens with “Edit your custom URL” on the top right of the page.
- Click on the blue pencil and type your name or your marketing message in the box beside “www.linkedin.com/in/.”
- Click on the “Save” button. You now have a new, much cooler LinkedIn profile URL.
Okay, here’s a kicker- As of late November 2019, LinkedIn reports over 660 million users spread over 200 countries. And yes, more than two new members join LinkedIn every second. Here you get a sneak peek of why to customize LinkedIn URL may help you.
Let that sink in.
That said, we now know that it hosts more than 600 million professional profiles. LinkedIn became the go-to place to manage your job search, increase your professional network, and even keep up to date with companies and influencers in your industries.
With these many users on LinkedIn, how do you stand out from someone with the same name as you?
To customize LinkedIn URL is the solution!
It seems like a trivial change, you say. It does make a real difference, just like identifying the right Chris Martin in a Coldplay concert or a cricket match.
If you are doing the default URL that LinkedIn allots your profile when you sign up, you don’t look like a member of the “In-crowd” because the default URL is full of numbers.
The default URL would look like- “linkedin.com/pub/yourname/29/890/2b9/”.
Whereas the URL of any in-crowd member would appear as: “linkedin.com/in/their-name.”
With a URL like this, you will look like a savvy LinkedIn user, and the URL will look much better whenever and wherever you post it. Enough of the waiting now. You can change the URL as per your preference. Indeed, this is an easy task.
Why you should customize your LinkedIn profile URL
It’s always a good idea to personalize your LinkedIn URL and use something novel and significant. The presentation of a LinkedIn profile URL is one thing. Still, there are several other reasons for customizing your LinkedIn profile URL.
Here’s a list of why you should consider tailoring your profile URL.
1. It looks Super Professional
Recruiters get a lot of resumes for each role they post, and so, finding a top candidate can be a tough job. With that in mind, anything that can give a small advantage can be worthwhile.
You look much more professional without those random characters in the default URL. Customizing your LinkedIn profile URL will not take much time, but it shows that you’re prepared to go the extra mile.
And, that matters.
This little change could be the difference between ending up in the Sorry, you are not selected”, and “We’d like to arrange an interview.”
2. It highlights your attentiveness to detail
When it comes to most of the jobs, details matter.
Whether you apply for an accountant role or a manager, showing that you care about the more precise things is a savvy move.
Not only does having a customized URL mean that you know how tech operates, but it also attests that you’ve studied hard and carefully about your profile.
Customizing your URL means that you have a thoughtful insight and want to present yourself in the best light. And, this puts you in a positive light when it comes to your career.
3. It gets you identified easily
Unless you have a particularly unique or fascinating name, there are chances for someone with the same name as yours.
It’s your job to make sure that recruiters find the right ‘Steve Smith’ profile. If you have a common name, you can make a slight modification, such as including the middle initial.
Just use a varied version of your name, try out different variations, or you can also add your professional brand to your URL to make it unique.
How to customize LinkedIn URL: Step by Step
Your LinkedIn is as good as your online resume. So before you customize your LinkedIn URL, post all the important information and check before you publish your profile.
Luckily, you don’t have to be a prodigy to make this small yet significant change to your profile. Here’s how you can do it:
Time needed: 1 minute.
Go to your LinkedIn home page ( on the left end of the menu bar, near the top of the page when you log in).
Click on the “Me” icon.
SelectView Profile. You will have your Profile open.
Select the “Edit Public Profile and URL” option on the top right of the page.
You will see a new page opens with “Edit your custom URL” on the top right of the page.
Click on the blue pencil and type your name or your marketing message in the box beside “www.linkedin.com/in/.”
Click on the “Save” button. You now have a new, much cooler LinkedIn profile URL.
Tips to remember
- When it comes to tailoring your new profile to customize LinkedIn URL, Keep it simple. You should aim at being identified easily, whenever any recruiter looks for your name. Use up to 20 numbers or alphabets without special characters and space.
- You can use a mixture of your name and your job role, a useful tip for those with common names. For example, suppose you are a Chartered accountant. In that case, you can use CA after or before your name to get easily identified.
- If none of your name version is available, try your last name followed by your first one. Like, “Smithsteve.”
- You can also add your professional degree or certification after your name to make it unique—for example, Stevesmithmba or Stevesmithcpa.
- LinkedIn allows you to change your name up to 5 times in 180 days (6 months). So this name isn’t “set in concrete.” However, consistently using the same version of your name is a good idea.
This simple switch takes a few minutes and could magnify your professional profile.
Well, customizing the LinkedIn profile URL proved to be a trump card from a search engine standpoint. But what else can you do to optimize it fully?
How to optimize your LinkedIn profile URL
Now when you have customized LinkedIn URL, make the most out of it.
Be mindful of the fact that Google, Ask, and the other search engines look for patterns and relationships, so this could benefit you. If you are consistent, this can have a positive effect on your SEO rank.
Yes, this is super cool, but only when you are a regular. Consistency is always a solution.
1. Nowadays, who doesn’t have a google profile? Everybody does, and in case you haven’t created one, do it right away.
Google gives you a free listing on the first page when somebody searches for your name. Google profile is an excellent platform to put the other sites you want people to see.
E.g., Your personal and business website, your blog address, LinkedIn profile, and your Instagram profile are whatever you want.
Don’t forget to add your most relevant social networking sites, including Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter.
2. To take full advantage of the Customized LinkedIn URL, you can include the Linkedin URL in your email signature.
LinkedIn has directions for doing the same with a small logo icon. Still, it’s way more lenient and reliable- to insert the link.
Keep in mind that some spam filters might block emails with images in them, so better to use the LinkedIn logo icon. It reduces risk.
3. Always mention your LinkedIn URL in your resume and cover letter before applying for a job or a consulting gig.
Again, this highlights your attentiveness towards details.
4. Do not forget to include your LinkedIn Profile URL in business cards.
5. Use the LinkedIn URL on any other sites you have. Like your blog, company’s website, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and relevant social networking sites.
The Bottom Line
LinkedIn unlocks new opportunities for business and job openings. So your profile is crucial as this is what tells employers and other users who you are.
Customizing your LinkedIn URL will not only get you a professional look on the site, but it will also help you stay in the minds of those who came across your profile looking for potential employees or business partners. When you customize your Linkedin profile URL, you appear to be a savvy user. And, anyone searching LinkedIn for you will find you more easily.
If you were wondering about the benefits of a customized LinkedIn Profile URL, hopefully understanding the advantages and steps must have convinced you that it is definitely one of the most powerful tricks.
With it, you can build and maintain your network, increase your visibility, and build your professional reputation. Plus, it’s free. So why wait?